Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

The second thrilling installment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spinoff series

Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.



I had been LIVING to read this book. Counting off the days, staring at the cover, dreaming of Adrian...I'd done everything. So you can just about imagine my THRILL of finally having the book in my hands.

*SPOILERS AHEAD FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ BLOODLINES*

This book takes place right after Bloodlines. Sydney the Alchemist, has grown extremely fond of her Vampire friends, which goes against everything she believes in. But why do they feel so...right? Why does she feel so many strong emotions for them? Why does she feel guilty all the time?
These are some of the questions she asks herself all throughout the book.

Alot of the relationships develop in this book. 

Sydney and Adrian-
Duh! Of course this relationship had to develop. It's basically the reason half of us are reading this book. So guys, if you all felt there wasn't enough romance in Bloodlines, this book make up for it. I'm not saying it was jam packed, but there was just enough tension. I have a complaint though. Again people, spoilers ahead. Sydney starts dating in this book. A guy named Brayden. He's as smart as her, they have very intellectual debates etc. but that's just about it. He's nice , maybe a bit arrogant, but there's just no...spark. I don't know if the author was trying to make her very naive or what but half the time she didn't know anything when it came to relationships and dating. Half the time she didn't know what was going on right infront of her! Can somebody be that dense? I'm pretty sure I'd notice ALL the signs she just so blatantly ignored and I'm DEFINITELY not an expert. I know knowledge and book are important but come on, have a bit of sense woman and just...wake up. 

Adrian was what kept me going in this book. Half the time I kept shaking my head a Sydney while just nodding my head at Adrian. I will say that I felt Adrian developed feelings for Sydney WAY more quickly than Sydney. Actually, TRUTHFULLY, Sydney didn't actually really feel anything than WARMTH or a bit of HEART BEATING here and there. BUT she did become more aware of him, more closer to him, worried about him all the time and just helped him in so many ways. I think maybe that's her way of loving him. Adrian though, GOD, he gave so many signs. WAY too many signs. That's why I was irritaed at Sydney. How could she not notice??? 

Guys, don't think I hate her or anything. Sydney is just as admirable as she was in the first book. So strong, straightforward, she shows that you don't need to be a vampire to be strong, you can be exactly that by just being human. She's so smart that's she's able to get her friends out of trouble so easily. So overall, ignoring her dense personality, Sydney's my kinda girl.

I LOVED Adrian's confession at the end. I could actually hear my heart beating throughout all of it. It was so...*squeal* AND THE KISS. I will not go any further than that because I have to go wipe my nosebleed. BUT guy...Sydney's reaction.....not surprising. That's all I'm gonna say.
I love you Adrian. You've ALWAYS been on Hira's List. No clap for you. Okay, golf clap.

Adrian and Demetri-
I felt that there was development here. Even though Adrian was a bit hostile at the start, by the end you could see how much he admired Demetri. How could he NOT? At 6'7, built like a Greek God, and OMG his accent, HOW COULD HE NOT LOVE HIM? Wait. You were talking about how strong, courageous, smart and kind he is and not about his six-pack? Sorry. My bad.

Eddie and Jill-
AS we ALL know, Eddie had a thing for Jill in the last book but wouldn't act upon it as he though he wasn't good enough for her. And because Jill didn't see him in 'THAT' way. This changed though, SLOWLY. She started noticing him but, sigh, it was too late. He started noticing someone else. Story of Jill's life...

Overall, a lot of developments. Small and big. All very important.

The plot was good. Interesting. Some important questions were answered. Sydney started growing suspicious and started questioning what she'd been taught. A big, think of it as a war, has started but people, it's just begun. I'm shocked at that because can people be so blind and that easily led?
Maybe that's the things about us humans. That's probably what differentiates humans from the vampires...

Can't remember what else I had to say but people, You'll LOVE this book. Maybe get IRRITATED at a certain someone and SWOON at a certain other someone, if that makes sense...but you'll love it anyway.

Enjoy!

5 BILLION STARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment