Friday, May 25, 2012

In Honor By Jessi Kirby

In Honor

A devastating loss leads to an unexpected road trip in this novel from the author of Moonglass, whose voice Sarah Dessen says “is fresh and wise, all at once.”

Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.

Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?



I hate Sad things. Books, films, people, colors etc. so you can just about imagine my reluctance to read this book. 
I gave it a chance though. I thought maybe, I don't know, I'd realise it wasn't that bad and that it's just a book and that reality is much different. I was wrong.

The Story


Honor's brother just died in battle. He's just been buried. Thant mean the wounds are still quite raw. Enter last letter Finn ever wrote. For Honor. I actually felt sad when I read that. He had no clue how short his life was going to be. Honor decided to secretly fulfill his last 'wish'.  He'd want that, wouldn't he? Let's start operation 'Travel to Concert all the way Across America'. Enter Brother's Ex-Best Friend. Oops. So not part of the plan. Especially the part of him tagging along. Let's see what happen's shall we?


The Characters


I actually have no idea how I feel about Honor. I'm just...I just feel...I really don't know. Believe me when I say that her pain hit me hard. I nearly had to reach for a box of tissues but reminded myself firmly that I am not one of those weepy types. I swear, I'm actually not. Even though Finn wasn't actually there in the book, obviously, her memories of him had me laughing, smiling and just outright gasping. I LOVED him. I was AMAZED at how much he was willing to sacrifice for Honor. He actually sacrificed so much, I began wondering if Honor was just plain selfish. Can she not see how much he does? Can she not, you know, keep unnecessarily mentioning what she wants and just like, I don't know, start observing what's going on around her. If there was ever a person in a book who did not deserve to die, it'd be Finn. God, keep blinking Hira. Deep breaths.


Also, she could be annoying sometimes. I liked her relationship with Wyatt, a small character that made an appearance, but that was bittersweet aswell. I like her relationship with Rusty too. They had a past together but couldn't deny the secret attraction. I like the fact that both were affected deeply by Finn's death and maybe that was one of the reasons why they bonded. 


Rusty was...moody. Secretive, mysterious, hurt, sad...I could keep going on but I'll end it there. There was also an obvious anger he had towards Honor. Maybe he blamed her because she'd been the reason Finn joined the Marines. Read the book people. I'd spoil it if I told you the real reason. You'll actually be quite shocked because I was. Maybe it'd crossed my mind but I just didn't comprehend it, you know what I mean. You might actually, this is a heads up, dislike Honor after that but people, this book teaches you a lesson. Think before you speak. Be aware of those around you and beware of their feelings.  Never hold back. Love till you die. Say what you feel. Express your emotion. And finally. Don't have any regrets. 


Recommendation?


Um, if you like realistic contemporary and don't mind having a sniffle now and then and know that it'll stick with your for a long time, then I'd definitely say it's for you. If you want loving characters, this is for you. If you're a fan of road trip, then this is DEFINITELY for you. Enjoy!


3.5 STARS!










No comments:

Post a Comment