Friday, May 25, 2012

Grave Mercy By R.L. LaFevers

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


I don't read Historical books all that often. Thought I am OBSESSED with Jane Austen but that's because, you know, it's Jane Austen. I only went for this book because it's been racing up the book charts and because of the rave reviews. AND because it about a nun assassin. I HAD to read it.

How was it?


The language takes a while to get into. But once you cross that rough patch, it's nothing but bliss.
So yeah, we are introduced to Ismae. Who just got married. To a brute. But escaped. Get's taken to St. Mortain's Church. Becomes an assassin and receives a very important mission.

People, it might be slow in the beginning and you may get thoughts of abandonment but STICK TO IT because it's one hell of a ride. I love how the author combined her love of history with paranormal with a dash of assassin in it. I know. I keep mentioning 'assassin'. It's just so COOL or something.
The story just slaps your face at every turn. I can for the first time ever say, that I never knew what was going to happen next.

The Characters?


I like you Ismae. You never once gave me the urge to puke or made my hand itch for a slap. You concentrated on what was in front of you, never swaying, your beliefs so strong I came to admire you. You proved that even though you took the life of others, there was always a chance for forgiveness. I loved your relationship with Duval. I swear it was one of the best developed relationships I've read in a while. You are one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the next installment.

I REALLY like you Duval. You were intelligent, loving, basically every nice adjective out there. I loved your relationship with your sisters. I even came close to tears, seeing the love between you all. I Loved your relationship with Ismae. I found myself looking forward to the moments between you two, some which left me giggling while other made me sigh inwardly.

The Story?


Interesting. Extremely Interesting. The first book I'VE read that has historical mixed with paranormal. Not to mention Romance. But people, the whole story doesn't rebolve around that. It covers alot of other Issues. Alot of politics aswell. Don't let that bring you down though. There is a right amount of it.

Recommendation?


Definitely recommended.  4.5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment