Monday, April 9, 2012

The Immortal Ones by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.





This is my first ever Julie Kagawa book. It will certainly not be my last. 

The story starts with an introduction to Allison (Allie) Sekemoto. She lives in a world riddled with plague, controlled by vampires and crawling with rabids. But her world is more complicated then that. There is a system in this world but I'm not gonna go into details. Just remember this. 
~Vamps R Best, Non-Bloodsuckers Aren't~ 

Should I make a list of words to describe Allie, because I will never be able to talk about her in one paragraph. 

Strong/Brave/Sarcastic/Humorous/Kind/Witty/kick-ass/troubled/trustful/impulsive/hunter/loner/Beautiful( I think so) 

Allie, at the start, hates the Bloodsuckers with passion. She lives as a Unregistered, a nobody, who has to fend for herself in those harsh conditions. Survive, Eat and stay out of trouble are her everyday routines. 
But not for long. Circumstances lead to her being attacked by rabids and so she lay there on the verge of death when she is given the ultimate choice by a surprising ally. You guessed it, a vampire. 
Choose to die, or become a vampire? (Which is still death both ways because Vamps are dead too.) So, yeah she chooses to become what she hates the most. I was kind of, I don't know, a bit annoyed here. I mean, at the start all Allie does is say that she hates the Vamps, how he loathes them, how they ruined her life etc. etc. but then she chooses to become one. After a good long think I decided she did make the right decision. If I was given that choice, I would've probably made the same choice as her. You are still ALIVE, not DEAD, and yeah, being a vampire could be hard but I'd adjust. Wouldn't I? 

Her savior Kanin, takes her under his wing and basically grooms her into becoming a Vampire. That includes history lessons, survival lessons and combat lessons. How to hunt and feed the 'Hunger' was also in the package. One word describes Kanin. Mysterious. Even though Allie does spend months with him, she know very little about him or the work he does. He's a brilliant teacher, harsh but soft at the same time, not giving her futile hope, telling her she is a monster. But overall, she knows nothing. But when she does find out something,something big, she does have to make the decision of, can she trust him? 

Her time comes to an end with Kanin and she begins her journey alone. Alone is death if you're a human but when you're a Vampire, nothing much worries you except having something to drink, once in a while. 
She meets interesting people during her road trip but the most interesting of all, Ezekiel Cross aka Zeke. 

I think I should do another list, especially for him. 

Kind/Brave/Strong/Gorgeous/Witty/Humorous//leader/secretive/affectionate/kick-ass/ 
Basically PURE IMAGINARY PERFECT BUT TROUBLED BOY. As you've noticed Allie and Zeke's descriptions are very similar, maybe because in a crazy way, they are both very alike. Their romance is perfect. Not insta-love people, my fans know I hate that.Ha. 

There are a few things I want to talk about though, before I finish. 
Julie's writing is absolutely a thrill to read. I mean, so descriptive, so brilliantly put that you just flow along, without any hesitation. Sometime some books lack due to the writing but this book is entirely on an other planet. *Cue clapping here for Julie* 

The world the author has created may need another round of applause. A world on the brink of falling, where there is no hope whatsoever. I sometimes felt the frustration of the characters, how much they wanted 'normal' but even I knew that it would take a long,long time for that to happen. The description is vivid, with Julie describing the destruction and gore as if she was describing a piece of pie. 

VAMPIRES. God, Julie, are you trying to out-run the other authors on my FAVE-AUTHORS list? I mean you actually created vampires that are, wait-for-it, vampires. You did not make them sparkly, make them drink animal blood, make them 'nice' and again, just for affect, SPARKLY. No, these vampires are monster, the kind of monster you don't ever wanna meet when you go to sleep, the kind that could cut you into pieces by a mere flick of the hand. She made them so realistic, I had to stop a few time when I was reading the book, to look behind me and make sure I was alone. I also liked that there are rules to being a vampire, and one big rule, ladies and gents, vamps and humans do not 'love'. Take that Edward. 

I love the cover by the way. It's so..Allie. Oh, yeah, when vamps cry, they cry bloods of tears. Oops. Spoiler alert. 

To finish off, I'd like to Thanks Julie Kagawa for writing a vampire book that I am not ashamed to read. I like to thank her for creating a book so realistic,characters so flawed but real and vamps that don't sparkle. 

Living for the next book!

5 START PARTY EVERYBODY! WOOOOOO! 

No comments:

Post a Comment