Saturday, April 14, 2012

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.



Are you looking for Something to Read? Something to fill the Void that's hasn't been filled since the Hunger Game Craze? Want something that'll make you squeal, cry, gasp, and awwwww at the same time? Something that'll make you hyperventilate just at the mention of it? Something that'll....wait. I should go ahead with the review. I need to go and Lie down after this.

Angelfall( Penryn & the End of Days, #1) is a book written by Susan Ee, who has been added to Hira's List Of Fave Authors. Let's momentarily clap for her success.

I just don't know what to say. I'm actually speechless. Which is amazing as it is because I always have something to say about books. I have never had a mind-boggling experience as this before. Every book gives me a different feeling and this is completely on a different level. I actually ENJOYED reading this. I wasn't all 'I gotta finish this because I have to' but instead I was 'OMG, why are pages coming to an end so fast?'. 
I think I should start the review or I'll just keep going.

First: The World of Susan Ee

It's actually amazing how descriptive her writing is AND not complicated at the same time. Have you ever noticed how some authors get so absorbed in describing something and all the while are confusing the reader with their unnecessary big words? Yeah well, this in NOT one of those book. It's EXTREMELY well written. She has all the points of a good writer. Easy flow of words, excellent describing skills, inventing of very interesting characters and the BEST ROMANCE I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME.

The World has come to and end. Everything is destroyed. Ever see the movie '2012'? Yeah, the damage is far more worse than that. Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention something. Earth is being run by...ANGELS. I know, I know. You're picturing the angels you see on TV. All white, gorgeous wings, kind, religious etc. Well, erase that picture and replace it with not-all-white wings, unkind, sinister, deadly, dangerous and (*insert every word that implies a bad guy*). Humans are mostly dead or some mostly hiding. Some live in groups, some fend on their own. Of course, angels live in luxury, with humans as their....slaves. I know. Who would've thought? Gangs, cannibals, indescribable monsters run the day, while angels run the night. Basically, no one is safe at any time.

Second: The Characters:

Penryn: Guys, I GOTTA get this off my chest first.

*PENRYN, I LOVE YOU, YOU ARE THE GREATEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE. YOU ARE STRONG, BRAVE, THE BEST GIRL FIGHTER I'VE EVER READ ABOUT, YOUR SISTERLY LOVE BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES, YOUR SACRIFICES, YOUR DETERMINATION, YOUR LOVE, ALL OF THESE COMBINED HAVE MADE YOU OF MY MOST FAVOURITE HEROINES EVER.* Thanks for that.

Ahem, anyway, I loved the characters in this book. Penryn is just so...broken. I mean, look at her. Her mother is crazy, her sister's been kidnapped by the 'things' that have destroyed her world, she alone, scared and has made a deal with her biggest enemy. Actually....broken is not the right word for her. She one messed up teen.
She was so determined to find her sister, that I found myself admiring her. I NEVER admire the heroines in the books I read. They are mostly annoying and make stupid decision, put themselves first and god, are stupid infront of boys. She is NOT that heroine. She's sarcastic, her dry humor actually get's you chuckling util you realise, wait, she's in a messed up world but can still talk back to the person she hates the most, you end up in love. 
Her relationship with Raffe was just.....I ate it up as if I was eating my most favourite chocolate cake......sorry that sentence does not describe my feelings for this couple. Their forbidden relationship is just so....forbidden. Okay, I'm gonna stop now. My brain is backfiring. I cannot seem to conjure up anything here. It's pointless. I will say one thing. PLEASE READ THIS AND I SWEAR, YOU WILL FORGET ABOUT THE DEVASTATION TWILIGHT/HUSH,HUSH HAS LEFT BEHIND. BELIEVE ME.


Raffe: My brain is gonna backfire again. I'm actually fanning my face here as I sit. I'm taking deep breaths and my sister is shooting her 'I-can't-believe-she's-the-oldest' look at me. Don't care. I really don't care. When she read this book, she will surely understand my reactions. 
And you will too. It's gonna get better too. Cannot wait for the next book. I won't go into much detail, because it's all spoilers but please picture this. Bad-boy, Angel, bad-ass, secretive, etc. etc.
Again. What I've said is absolute shit as it cannot compare to the real him but oh well, you'll find out soon enough. When you read the book.

The Story

You will never be bored. You will never lose track of what page you're on. You will not be nodding off. You never know what's coming next.
There's horror. Alot of horror. But that just makes it better. 
The ending leaves you wanting more. Of course, it can't be all happy. Alot more needs to, has to, happen. The world is destroyed. Angels still run it. What can a little girl do? I wanna know but I'll have to wait. Stupid waiting. 

Overall:

I like that even though it's a book, she made so many things so realistic, half the time I wondered how she came up with it. She made angels so different to what we think of them. Not everybody is nice in this world. It only took me to realise that my whole life and this book tell you on the first page. I felt bad for Penryn sometimes. Why go through so much at such a young age? But that's what make her exceptional. When most gave up, she didn't. In the book, you are given a whole different side to 'humans'. You see them different to what they are now in real life. You will see how a catastrophe brings them together but you will also see the darker side, what humans can do when all hope is lost. 

I have alot more to say but I can't remember. But it doesn't matter. Just read this book because you will feel what I feel and understand why I'm so muddled up. I would like to thank Susan Ee for writing a masterpiece and to never stop doing what she loves and what her fans love her for. Also sorry for excessive use of the same words. I can get annoying. I just loved it too much!

5 STARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment